• Social Worker
  • NorSA Community Care
  • Telephone: + 27 21 873 5636
  • Fax: +27 21 873 6127
  • Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Website:



  • Jointly by husband and wife, partners in a permanent domestic life partnership, and other persons sharing a common household and forming a permanent family unit.
  • A widower, widow, divorced or unmarried person.
  • A married person whose spouse is the parent of the child (step-parent) or by a person whose permanent domestic life-partner is the parent of the child.
  • By the biological father of a child born out of wedlock. This clause is applied as per Section 21 of the Children’s Act 38/2005 when the parental rights of the father is not afforded to him by default.
  • By a foster parent of the child.



  • Non-disclosed adoption – prospective adoptive parents and adoptive children are not related and no identifying details are disclosed to any party.
  • Disclosed adoption – identifying details are disclosed.
  • Family adoption – the child is legally adopted by the spouse of the biological parent or a family member.
  • Foster care adoption – when a child in foster care becomes available for adoption the foster parent is given first preference to adopt the child.



  • Legal considerations
  • In terms of section 242 of the Children’s Act, all parental rights and responsibilities of the natural family are terminated
  • Consent is not required or necessary if the consent was taken away by a court from the parent or guardian who:
  • Is incompetent to give consent due to mental illness.
  • Had abandoned the child, or if the whereabouts of that parent or guardian cannot be established, or if the identity of that parent or guardian is unknown.
  • Has abused or deliberately neglected the child or has allowed the child to be abused or deliberately neglected.
  • Has consistently failed to fulfil his or her parental responsibilities towards the child during the last 12 months.
  • Has been divested by an order of a court of the right to consent to the adoption of the child.
  • Has failed to respond to a notice of the proposed adoption (referred to in Section 238 of the Children's Act 38/2005) within the 30 days of service of notice.
  • Alternatively, in the best interest of the child, the court must waive the parent’s right to consent to an adoption.
  • Biological parents can withdraw their consent within 60 days of signing their consent.
  • If the child is 10 years or older, the child must also consent to the adoption.
  • If the child is in foster care, the foster parents may apply to adopt the foster child/children in their care. They can also certify that they do not wish to adopt the child. This is, however, a limited courtesy gesture and foster parents can't indefinitely prevent the adoption of a foster child should such adoption be in the child’s best interests

Huis Mia Logo Footer1



Huis Mia is an established house in Paarl which serves as a temporary safe care facility for babies before adoption. Babies are in our care from birth to approximately 1-year-old.